This Wednesday, we decided to have a dinner date at home. It was my turn to plan. I settled on making pasta the way my husband loves, with lots of veggies, little cheese and pinch of spices, accompanied by soda. After cooking, I set the table, restaurant style, and called him. To amplify the romantic ambiance of our date with candle light effect, he switched on the hall’s dim light and placed the table under it. I waited for his reaction when we started eating. After taking the first bite, he looked at me and said “Superb!”
Rigatoni pasta with vegetables and cheese has a slightly sweet taste, but with the addition of little spices, it becomes yummier. Adding spinach, not only enhances the awesomeness of the dish but also makes it more healthy.
Spinach RigatoniPrint This
- 8 ounces/250 gms Rigatoni
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 carrot roughly chopped
- 1 small or 1/2 large capsicum roughly chopped
- 4 florets of broccoli, boiled
- 1/2 cup sweet corns, boiled
- 2 mushrooms roughly chopped
- 4 cloves of garlic finely chopped
- 1 tbsp red chili flakes
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 1 cup spinach washed and finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Heat water in a pan. Add 1 tbsp salt and 1 tbsp oil to it. Bring it to boil. Add the pasta. A broccoli and sweet corn. Tip: Can boil corn and broccoli separately. I boil pasta, corn, and broccoli together to save time. Boiling broccoli removes its slightly bitter taste.
- Boil the pasta for 10-15 mins over medium heat, or till they become soft. Don’t over boil, else pasta will break while mixing with the vegetables. In the last few minutes, add broccoli and sweet corn. Tip: Can boil corn and broccoli separately. I boil pasta, corn, and broccoli together to save time. Boiling broccoli reduces its slightly bitter taste. Also don’t over boil it.
- Strain the pasta and pour a little tap water over it, and keep it aside. Tip: Pouring cold water prevents pasta from sticking together, and breaking.
- In another pan, heat oil, saute garlic till it turns golden.
- Now add onions to the mixture. Ohh!! the appetizing smell of onions and garlic sauteing, fills in the kitchen.
- When the onions have turned translucent, add the capsicum, mushrooms, carrots, saute on medium heat till they become a little soft. We like the vegetables a bit crunchy with a raw taste, so we don’t cook for long.
- Next add the pasta, broccoli, spinach and corns and give it a gentle stir.
- Add cheese and milk. Tip: Add more cheese, if you like it more creamy and cheesy.
- Season it with salt, red chili flakes and black pepper.
Some Health Facts
Broccoli is rich in proteins, and a good substitute for vegetarians. It is also rich in vitamin C, vitamin K, calcium, and iron, which are good especially for women.
This recipe can be made for kids too who love pasta but shy away from vegetables. You can use any pasta of your choice.