Okra popularly called ‘bhindi’ in our language, is one of our favorite vegetables. My mother would make it in a lot of ways and I used to devour all of them with equal swiftness. I can still reminisce vividly the excitement and happiness of seeing it in school lunch.
My husband has had the pleasure of eating this curry sometime in past. He always used to talk about its unique taste and flavor. It was clear, he wanted to have it again. This motivated me to search for this hidden gem. And voila, here is the recipe.
Okra Yogurt Curry/ Dahi Bhindi is a perfect amalgamation of spices, okra, and yogurt. Yogurt not only brings out the taste of okra but also provides its sourness to the curry, making the overall curry, tangy and flavourful. Now it has become a favorite of us and is served for lunch at least once every week.
Okra Yogurt CurryPrint This
- 2 cups of chopped okra
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 chopped green chili
- 1 cup yogurt, whisked well
- 2 tsp oil
- Pinch of asafoetida (Hing)
- Salt to taste
- Chopped coriander leaves for garnish
1. Heat the oil in a pan, add cumin and mustard seeds
2. When the seeds start to crackle, add ginger and garlic. Saute on medium flame for a minute
3. Add the okra and green chillis now and saute for a minute
4. Now add the asafoetida, turmeric powder, and salt. Mix well and cover the pan with its lid.
5. Let it cook till the okra loses its sticky nature. Keep on stirring in between. The flame should be at low or medium. It might take 10-15 minutes.
6. Now add coriander powder, chili powder. Mix well and saute for 2 minutes.
7. Switch off the flame and add yogurt and mix well. Cover the lid for a minute.
8. Garnish with coriander leaves and serve with hot roti. Enjoy!!